Community Resources for Counsellors
1. 18th Victoria and 13th Vancouver Island Annual Schizophrenia Conference: Road to Recovery
A one day symposium for Psychiatrists, General Practitioners, Mental Health Care Workers, Family Members and People with a Mental Illness.
Friday, November 20, 2015 8:30 am to 4 pm Comfort Inn & Suites 3020 Blanshard Street, Victoria http://islandschizophreniaconference.webs.com/
2. UVIC Continuing Studies Program: Overcoming Debilitating Anxiety Disorders
Learn techniques to prevent panic attacks when they occur and begin to make a plan to resume living your life in a healthy way. Learn how to use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, mindfulness techniques, and Acceptance Commitment Therapy for those with anxiety, as well as their friends, family and caregivers.
November 14, 2015 to November 21, 2015 (9:30 AM - 12:30 PM) 2 sessions on Saturday
Location: University of Victoria Continuing Education https://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/Course/Overcoming-Debilitating-Anxiety-Disorders/HPHE260/
3. Royal Roads University Continuing Studies: Introduction to MBSR
The MBSR(Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction) program is a well-researched, intensive training that asks participants to draw on their inner resources and natural capacity to actively engage in caring for themselves and fining greater balance, ease, and peace of mind. It has improved thousands of participants’ abilities to live and cope with chronic pain, illness, stress related conditions, and the stresses of everyday life. A wonderful opportunity to explore the structure and practice of the eight-week MBSR program. Saturday, Nov 14, 2015, 9:00am - 4:30pm Location: Sooke Facilitator: Patricia Galaczy http://secure.royalroads.ca/cscourses/introduction-to-mbsr-2-3-4
4. Royal Roads University Continuing Studies: Meditations that Heal the Heart
Unconditional friendliness toward oneself is the foundation of all the transformation that arises on the human journey. Known as “maître”, this attitude of open acceptance has special value in modern culture where aggressive self-judgement is common. Learn to engage various practices that heal our relationship with ourselves.
Saturday, Nov 28, 2015, 9:00am - 4:30pm Instructor: Neil McKinley http://secure.royalroads.ca/cscourses/meditations-that-heals-the-heart
5. Crisis and Trauma Resource Institute Inc.: Mindfulness Counselling Strategies- Activating Compassion and Regulation Workshop Description: The ability to regulate one’s body and find balance in emotion, thought and physical health is at the core of healing and well-being. This workshop is designed to teach participants how to facilitate development of these skills with their clients and develop their own capacity for using mindfulness-based strategies in their counselling work. In this highly experiential workshop, participants will practice mindfulness, regulation and activation strategies meant to promote compassionate self-awareness and emotional balance. The skills learned in this workshop are relevant and applicable for working with clients of all ages—from children to elders.
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop for social service and health care professionals, teachers, social workers and anyone wanting to gain mindfulness tools and strategies. Lecture, personal reflection, video, case study exercises, skill development and small group discussion
Monday Dec 08 and Tuesday Dec 09, 2015 (9 AM - 4 PM) Victoria, British Columbia – Comfort Inn and Conference Centre Trainer: Catherine Carr, D.Prof, M.Ed. https://ca.ctrinstitute.com/workshops/mindfulness-counselling-strategies-victoria/
6. Trans Health Community Forum
Curious to learn more about what's going on with transgender health in BC and on the island? Want to hear more about recent and upcoming changes? Interested in sharing your thoughts, concerns and experiences? Please join us November 19, 2015 6- 9:30pm at UVIC McPherson Library Room A003. This event is co-sponsored by the Vancouver Island Trans Service Providers, and UVic Pride. This will be an opportunity to hear from representatives from the new Provincial Transgender Health Program about the current status of surgery programs and other health services. There will also be time to hear from the community about their needs and concerns and desires. Your input is important! Please RSVP so we have a sense of numbers. Please direct any questions and RSVPs to Vanessa Bailey (250) 858-7770 firstname.lastname@example.org.
7.Vancouver Island University Training: Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training
Ideal for those working with the public in various capacities, this curriculum provided by the Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) prepares participants to respond effectively in challenging situations, emphasizing early intervention and non-physical methods for preventing or managing disruptive behaviour. Personal safety techniques are demonstrated and practiced to prepare participants to safely remove themselves and others from dangerous situations. CPI certificate awarded upon successful completion.
Saturday, November 14 Saturday 09:00 - 16:00 pm Nanaimo/Parksville https://www.viu.ca/
8. NEED2-ASIST(Applied Suicide Intervention SkillsTraining) Upcoming ASIST Workshops:
ASIST is a two-day, skills-building workshop that prepares caregivers of all kinds to provide suicide first aid interventions. November 7th & 8th, 2015, 9 – 4:30 pm @ NEED2 Additional session: November 26&27, 2015
ASIST is held at NEED2, 1524 Fort Street, Victoria, BC V8S 5J2 (unless otherwise stated)
Contact email@example.com (or 250-386-6328 ext. 221) http://need2.ca/asist-training/
9. Bodhichitta Buddhist Meditation- Finding the Stillness Within: Meditating on the Clarity of the Mind Day Retreat
Join us for a day retreat on the relaxing and peaceful meditations on the clarity of the mind. Gen Zopa will guide us into the deeper nature of our consciousness. When we meditate on the clarity of the mind we experience a deep inner tranquility and peace. This sublime practice is renowned for being one of the most effective methods for developing concentration and overcoming stubborn mental habits. Derived from the Buddhist Mahamudra tradition, these meditations lead you on a voyage of exploration of your mind through which you can discover your own inner potential for lasting peace and happiness.
Saturday, November 28, 2015 9:30am-3:30pm Goward House 2495 Arbutus Road, Victoria http://meditatevancouverisland.org/events/retreats/
10. Intuitive Arts Festival: Workshops on Holistic Health & Metaphysics Rejuvenate your spirit! 33 Exhibitors. November 7th & 8th 12-5 pm
James Bay Community Centre 140 Oswego Street www.psychicsong.com
11. Co-operative Wellness Fair: Celebrating the Diversity of our Paths to Wellness
Displays and over 20 presentations such as Healing Laughter, Resilience, Energy Paths, Dance for Brain Health, Community Wellness, Joy of Reflexology, A holistic Approach to Depression/Anxiety, Naturopathic Healing, Transforming your Life, Gardening for Wellness and many more! Saturday November 7th 10-4pm and Sunday November 8th 1-4 pm. Fairfield United Church 1303 Fairfield at Moss. Admission by donation.
12. Gabor Mate: The Biology of Loss
November 6, 2015 9:30 am - 4:30 pm Historic Dwight Hall, 6274 Walnut St.
Powell River, B.C http://www.4children.ca/registration_gabor.html
Gabor Mate: Taming The Hungry Ghost: Science And Compassion In Treating Addiction
Keynote address followed by a questions and answer time with Dr. Maté for the Richmond Addiction Services Society 40th Anniversary Luncheon. November 18 @ 11:30 pm - 2:30 pm Four Points by Sheraton Vancouver Airport, 8368 Alexandra Rd Richmond, BC https://www.picatic.com/RASS40thanni
13. A Somatically Oriented –Attachment Based Approach for Healing Complex Trauma
Free Evening Presentation by Lisa Moritmore PhD Wednesday November 4th, 7-9 pm Parkside Hotel 810 Humboldt St. For more information: www.lisamortimore.com Phone # 250 514 4731